Thursday, July 23, 2009

Fireworks in Juneau

Here in Juneau we start the 4th of July at 12:00 am. We stay up all night on the third and start to walk down to the waterfront around 11:00 pm. We bring our camping chairs and treats to eat. There are vendors selling sodas and popcorn nearby. We set up our chairs on the dock straight across from where the barge that sets off the fireworks is anchored. We usually run into people we know from church or from the office and have a good time waiting for the show. At a few minutes past midnight it is dark enough--ish to start the show. Watching the fireworks from down on the dock allows you to hear the echo of each explosion as it bounces off the steep mountains. The echo is nearly as loud as the original explosion. I love it. Haley did great. She looked like this the whole time.
This is what the boys looked like.


3 comments:

Flee said...

Awesome! I have a hard time picturing the days and night of AK. Weird to think of it being light at midnight. I guess I will just have to experience it for myself sometime. :)

Shannon said...

Sounds like you guys make fun memories on 4th of July!

jodi said...

Very cool! Love the expressions on the boys faces.